A roaring fire can create a cozy and inviting atmosphere during the cold winter months. However, it’s essential to maintain and use your fireplace safely to prevent potential hazards, such as house fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Have your chimney professionally inspected and cleaned at least once a year to remove creosote buildup and ensure proper venting. This will help reduce the risk of chimney fires and keep your fireplace operating efficiently.
  • Use a fireplace screen or glass doors to prevent sparks and embers from escaping and causing damage or injury. Additionally, keep flammable materials, such as furniture, rugs, and curtains, at least three feet away from the fireplace.
  • Burn only seasoned hardwoods, such as oak, maple, or hickory, in your fireplace. These woods produce less creosote and provide a cleaner, hotter burn. Avoid burning green or wet wood, as well as treated or painted lumber, which can release harmful chemicals into your home.
  • Install and regularly test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home. These devices provide early warning of potential hazards and can save lives in the event of a fire or carbon monoxide leak.
error: Content is protected !!